“While regulations can be complex and confusing, we deliver legal solutions that simplify regulatory requirements into straightforward procedures … enabling our clients to obtain day-to-day operational compliance without being dependent on outside subject matter experts.”
Hochheiser & Akmal understands that achieving regulatory compliance today can be a daunting task. Companies face increasing risk if they are not prepared to navigate this complex and continually changing regulatory landscape. With extensive experience in regulatory compliance, Hochheiser & Akmal has developed efficient regulatory solutions for manufacturers and distributors in a multitude of industries regarding national and international regulatory regimes such as:
- The Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR)
- The Defense Federal Acquisitions Regulations Supplement (DFARS)
- The Conflict Minerals Law (implemented under Dodd-Frank Consumer Protection Act)
- The Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
- The International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR)
- Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation, and Restriction of Chemicals Regulation (REACH)
- The Restriction on Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS)
- The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE)
- CE Marking Requirements under European Union legislation
H&A’s documented regulatory compliance solutions are designed to streamline complex regulatory requirements in an efficient and practical manner. While regulations can be complex and confusing, we deliver legal solutions that simplify regulatory requirements into straightforward procedures. Our solutions focus extensively on (1) creating practical low-cost solutions, (2) enabling our clients to obtain day-to-day operational compliance without the need or cost of using outside subject matter experts in the ordinary course, (3) providing a common foundation for multiple regulatory compliance programs, and (4) preserving and building company goodwill by developing customer-friendly interface and response mechanisms. Below are some examples of these solutions:
- A documented, turn-key conflict minerals compliance program that enable companies to provide effective conflict minerals certifications to customers on recognized industry-accepted forms like the Conflict-Free Sourcing Initiative (CFSI) of the Electronic Industry Citizenship Coalition (EICC) and Global e-Sustainability Initiative (GeSI) in a practical, low-cost manner. Hallmarks of this unique program include the ability to exclude certain categories of suppliers from the conflict minerals inquiry and the use of streamlined standard forms, both of which are designed to result in significant cost savings and positive responses to customers.
- A documented, technology control plan for ITAR compliance which includes procedures for determining and handling ITAR defense articles and technical data and applying for export licenses, if necessary.
- A documented, RoHS compliance program with a qualified assumptions and methodologies page for effective communication of material declarations to customers.
- A documented, CE marking procedure for determining the applicable directives and conforming assessment procedure in an efficient and practical manner.
Our attorneys have extensive experience and are committed to continuing education on developing trends in regulations that impact our clients. Our approach is not limited to simply utilizing our in-depth understanding of the legal requirements of the regulation, but to use practical implementation techniques at the business level to develop legal solutions for regulatory compliance. Certain of the firm’s lawyers have successfully completed the Underwriter’s Laboratory training course for CE Marking: Strategies for European Compliance, among others.